May 3, 2023
The Jetmore City Council met in regular session on May 3, 2023. Mayor Derek Olson called the meeting to order and let the group in the Pledge of Allegiance. Roll call was answered by councilmen Jeff Channell, Connie Chavez, Charles Leet & Mike Thornburg. Absent was Councilman Kyler Fetters. (He joined the meeting at 8:06 p.m.) Also attending were City Administrator Michael Ort, City Attorney Clayton Kerbs, Interim City Clerk Casey Dansel and ED Director Sailor-Anne Seiler.
Councilman Chavez made a motion to approve the consent agenda containing the April 5th minutes and Appropriation Ordinance #2023-04. Councilman Channell seconded the motion; vote unanimous.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT REPORT: ED Director Sailor-Anne Seiler discussed that there is a Housing Preservation Grant available and she would be willing to work on it if the council would be interested in having her do that. She also discussed MIH Resolution #2023-02 which was ready for council approval.
CITY ATTORNEY REPORT: City Attorney Clayton Kerbs reported that city court has not had very many tickets lately. He informed the council he has a new attorney starting at his office next week. He informed the council that he was proposing a rate increase to his hourly rate from $200/hr to $210/hr.
CITY CLERK REPORT: Interim Clerk Dansel had nothing to report at this time just learning the new position.
*Councilman Thornburg made a motion to pursue the Housing Preservation Grant. Councilman Leet seconded the motion; vote unanimous.
*Councilman Channell made a motion to approve MIH resolution #2023-02. Councilman Chavez seconded the motion; vote unanimous.
*Mayor Olson appointed the following positions:
Casey Dansel- City Clerk, Brenda Ringle- City Treasurer, Clayton Kerbs- City Attorney, Kenton Gleason-City Judge. Councilman Chavez made a motion to approve the appointments, councilman Thornburg seconded; vote unanimous.
*Councilman Channell made a motion to give City Attorney Kerbs a rate increase to $210/hr. Councilman Leet seconded; vote unanimous.
*Councilman Chavez made a motion to designate Farmers State Bank of Jetmore as the official Depository for the City of Jetmore. Councilman Thornburg seconded; vote unanimous.
*Mayor Olson appointed Janese Boger to the Library Board. Councilman Channell made a motion to approve the appointment, councilman Chavez seconded; vote unanimous.
*City Administrator Ort informed the council this is when we usually make our annual donation to the Big Bang. Last year we gave $1500. The city has also raised a little over $300 for the Big Bang so far with the Cans for Kabooms recycling project. Councilman Channell made a motion for the city to donate $1500 to the Big Bang, with the Cans for Kabooms proceeds to be in addition to this donation. Councilman Thornburg seconded; vote unanimous.
*The Assistant Clerk vacancy was discussed. Councilman Channell made a motion for City Administrator Ort to begin the hiring process of a full time Assistant Clerk. Councilman Leet seconded the motion; vote unanimous.
*Administrator Ort brought to the council’s attention that there had been a suggestion to change the parking in the 500 block of Main Street from diagonal parking to parallel parking. After discussion, council tabled the matter to next meeting so Administrator Ort can visit with the area businesses on their opinion of the change.
*Administrator Ort informed the council that expenditures has begun to outpace revenue in the Electric Fund over the last few years and that offered Ordinance #682, setting new rates for Electric service, for the council’s consideration. After discussion, the council tabled the matter to next meeting.
CITY ADMINISTRATORS REPORT: City Administrator Michael Ort presented his May travel and training schedule and staff birthdays and anniversaries.
* Administrator Ort informed the council that the city park bathroom project contract has been signed and that the project has moved to the construction phase. Construction is planned to begin sometime around June 1.
* Administrator Ort informed the council that the EPA is requiring public water systems to conduct a materials inventory of not only the materials used on the public side of the system, but the private side as well. Mr. Ort briefed the council on his plans to conduct the survey and asked if they had other ideas to offer. Those survey results are due to KDHE by October 16, 2024 so the intent is to begin that effort soon.
* Administrator Ort informed the council that it was recently discovered that water usage at the lake last exceeded the allotted amount in the water right established by the state. The overuse is due entirely to watering new trees planted on the lake property. Mr. Ort has reached out to KRWA staff and is working with them to obtain a short term, emergency water right to allow for the overuse to continue to water in new trees for now. Plans will be made to haul water to the trees as needed on a longer term basis as KRWA personnel were informed recently by Division of Water Resources (DWR) personnel that new water rights are suspended at this time in our area due to the ongoing drought and the condition of the aquifer.
* Administrator Ort notified the council that, as he would be out of town the day of May 19th and City Clerk Casey Dansel would be out of town that afternoon to attend the regional track meet in Tribune, the city office would be closed that afternoon.
* Administrator Ort reminded the council that June 1st, 2023 at noon, is the filing deadline for Mayor & Council positions up for re-election. At this time, no one has filed.
Councilman Channell made a motion to enter into executive session to discuss non-elected personnel pursuant to the non-elected personal exception K.S.A. 75-4319 (b)(1) for 10 minutes with council and administrator present. The open meeting will resume in the council chamber at 8:35. Councilman Thornburg seconded; vote unanimous. Councilman Thornburg made a motion to come out of executive session, councilman Channell seconded; vote unanimous.
Councilman Channell made a motion to set a salary of $37,500 annually to newly appointed City Clerk Casey Dansel. Councilman Fetters seconded the motion; vote unanimous.
Governing Body Comments:
Mayor Olson expressed gratitude for the opportunity to serve as councilmember and as mayor for 10 years but informed the council that he did not intend to seek re-election as mayor this year.
Councilman Channell made a motion to adjourn. Councilman Chavez seconded; vote unanimous. The meeting was adjourned at 8:52 p.m.